Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I change my cockatiel's behaviour ?

Every time I lift up the blanket from his cage in the morning he greets me by hissing at me and when I try to remove his food bowl he bites me and my finger was bleeding. We bought Charlie as a tame bird and now he is really aggressive and it's making me feel bad so can someone give me some tips on how to change his behaviour.How do I change my cockatiel%26039;s behaviour ?
you may have to gain his trust

get some millet and hold it up to the cage, let him eat it and do this each hour. after about 5 times, poke your finger near him as he eats. if he reacts stop approaching and wait until he continues eating. then move closer. do this each hour until you are able to pet him. always talk to him gently through out.

when he trusts you enough try getting him to step up. let him know that you are putting your finger under his chest so you don't scare him. when he steps up, praise and give millet. he now should associate you with food. try taking him out of cage. let him explore and remember to give him plenty of attention, and he'll learn that you are his Companion and not a threat. ;) . How do I change my cockatiel%26039;s behaviour ?
O.O You sound like me! Except for my cockatiel has NEVER been tame. I have the same problem with my new cockatiel. He hisses quite often and has bitten quite badly. What I've been doing is... I wear thick gloves and try to handle him everyday,talk to him,let him know every things okay and maybe he'll start calming down. It's really been helping mine,he has been hissing less and actually seems to like coming to me. I hope I was some help,if not sorry. But Good Luck.How do I change my cockatiel%26039;s behaviour ?
It seems that you haven't gained his trust. He feels threatened by your big hand in the cage and thus he creates instinctively by biting.



Next time you feed him or changes his water and food bowls, wear gloves and talks to him in a soothing. Avoid unnecessary quick movement. Eventually he will come to recognize your hand as a source of food.



It will take time but the key is patience and lot of time.



How do I change my cockatiel%26039;s behaviour ?
i would get gloves and spend as much as time as possible with it he will change very soon because was doing the same thing and my bird came around in less than a week he was back to normal. please answer mine http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/indHow do I change my cockatiel%26039;s behaviour ?
How is your cockatiel outside of the cage? Remember, his cage is his home. He is protecting his %26quot;nest%26quot;, this is normal behavior so I wouldn't focus too much on forcing him to change as it's instinct.



Try to spend time with him out of the cage and see how he does.How do I change my cockatiel%26039;s behaviour ?
you can easily handtame him to the point that he is bonded to you check out http://www.parrotcentral.net/how_to_tame for a great artcle on handtaming, goodluck!
  • remove stubborn adware
  • what is the difference between
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment