Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Will my dog's behavior change after he gets neutered?

My puppy, a black lab JUST over a year, is scheduled to get his nuts chopped in June. My mom figured it would be a good idea because he's a very high jumper, and she worried that he might leap over the fence to try and get to the female dogs in heat. My dog, though, is my best pal, and I love so much because of his sporadic and spasmodic behavior. My only worry is how his behavior might change once he's neutered. What type of behavioral changes will happen to dogs once they're neutered? I don't want to leave my spas just yet.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
He will be more reliable as in letting him off-leash he is less likely to wander/run away.



It may lessen any aggression toward other dogs. But that would be minimal if that is a problem anyways.



Other than that, there really is no immediate change.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
yes. dogs gut much better after they are spayed/neuteredWill my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
From personal experience, it will in some cases help, but puppies can still be very active/hyper even after getting fixed.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
Do not fear, the change isn't drastic. Your dog WILL calm down and won;t be so.... easily excited but if he is a spaz, than his personality shall remain generally the same. However, remember he is a puppy and so age will cause him to calm down as well. He may not always be such a spaz, sadly.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
With my lab you'd never know the difference. He acts just like he did before, except he doesn't spaz out and try to wander when the ***** down the street in heat.



He'll be a bit out of sorts for a few days, but that's to be expected after being put under.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
I think your dog will be a much happier dog when he is neutered.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
yes but only in good ways, and by that i mean no humpy humps... but personally my dog was still just as active and kind of odd and just so you know if he still humps that's normal its a dominance thing, my dog actually got cooler after his nut chop. but all in all your mom is right get him neutered good for you and him in the long run:)Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
His behavior may seem weird at first but he is verry likely to be back 2 normal afteer the first 2 weeksWill my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
I wondered the same thing. I have a Labrador as well. He was seven months old when I got him fixed. Usually, they eat a LOT more after they have been %26quot;fixed%26quot; but, my dog really hasn't changed at all. He's still the same loveable puppy as before.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
Your mom is right. He will be much more relaxed and well behaved if you get him neutered. Males get crazy when they need to mate. If he smells a femail in heat he could just take off and you wont see him again.

dont worry abou the proceedure - it's much easier on males then females.............. i have 3 dogs, they all got fixed and they are just amazing, they're happy and worry free..

so bottom line - go for it!Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
they become more mellow.Will my dog%26039;s behavior change after he gets neutered?
USUALLY the only thing that may change is the DANGER of him following his wild instinct to leave home and chase female dogs. Sometimes in neutering people find the dog becomes a little more placid. But I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your dogs %26quot;play%26quot; behavior should not be affected in anyway. If you had surgery you would still be 'You.' The only limitations will be the short time of recovery after the surgery and his %26quot;trying%26quot; moments AWAY from you that he will not understand. Its HARD...but its what you must do. Actually the surgery is EQUALLY important to your dear pet because of the threat and HIGH incidence of cancer in un-neutered males. I cannot remember the percentage my vet told me, but it is VERY HIGH probability that a dog over the age of 3 years WILL develop prostrate cancer. I guess its a sign of our times!

I lost a dear friend of six years who wasn't neutered to this devastating cancer. I will always NOW make sure my pets are fixed.

Blessings,

Bunny7

No comments:

Post a Comment