Thursday, November 18, 2010

How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?

I adopted a rescue cat and signed papers saying he would be an indoor cat. However this cat is obsessed with going outside and slips out of the door at every chance. He has actually become quite clever at it. Do any of you have any ideas for behavior modification? I am very afraid of losing the cat if he gets outside and I am unable to catch him. Thank you in advance for your thoughtful answers.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
A harness and leash is a great idea if you have the time and energy to do it. I did that with three of my cats when they were about six months old. It's good if they become familiar with the territory around their home in case they get out accidentally.



One good idea I heard was to have a friend on the other side of the door with a soda can or something like that filled with coins. When the door is opened the friend makes as much noise as possible. Maybe puncturing a balloon. Cats hate loud noises! He will come to associate the door with being frightened by the noise.



You don't say how long you have had the cat. Just say %26quot;No!%26quot; and something like %26quot;You are an inside cat now%26quot;. Then walk away and ignore him. This reinforces you determination to keep him inside.



Cats are very persistent and it will take a while. It's tough to outdo a cat in this department and it will work.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
try taking him or her out on a leash. never leave the door open either good luckHow do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
well to tell u the truth, once an outdoor xcat always an outdor cat. u cant teach them not to go out side. once they expirienced it thats it. but nto u have to keep a close eye on him.. well good luckHow do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
give him some catnip.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
maybe, just maybe, he's said to be %26quot;obsessed%26quot; about getting out because you don't take him out for a walk that much...How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
give up your investment in power and control over your friend , love your cat absolutely and unconditionally , not only if he is %26quot;your cat%26quot;. The trick to cats is the understanding that you are theirs , you live in their house , their world , not the other way around. If he wants to be with you , let him , if he doesn't , ask your self why , and let him go.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
Cats are hard to train.Why do you think there are dog catchers but not cat catchers. Good luck.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
my three cats are indoor cats. they have each escaped at least once. However my suggestion is make sure there is plenty activity indoor and also get some cat grass. It does take time, one cat everytime I would come home would try to run out the door, I would %26quot;hiss%26quot; at him, he has stopped. Good LuckHow do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
He wants to go out because cats are natural born hunters. Turn some rats loose in your house and that should keep him occupied.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
Make life more interesting for him inside. I addopted an outside cat and ended up getting a little playmate for him. He playes constantly. favorite games are kill the rug, kill the chair, blanket bump, foot tag, string chase, and plasic bag rustle. This is the greatest most loving cat. Best of luck.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
i spent a couple of months training my cats to come to me when they heard the signal. i had a little bell that i would ring and i trained them to equate the sound of the bell with a treat of tuna :)

they loved tuna! so i used that as a device to get them to come to me in my apartment and then to come to the apartment when they were outside. it worked like a charm.

i didn't give them but a tiny bit of tuna - perhaps a teaspoon or so. if you give too much they would get full and would not bother to come running. just a tiny amount and then don't repeat this behavior for several hours - wait a maybe two hours or so. but try this at least four times a day. then maybe skip a day or so - then repeat. you want to spread out the training just a little bit so they don't get board with the treat - and you keep them interested.



eventually i'd let the cats go outside, let them do their thing for an hour or so and then i'd chime the bell - they'd come running back for a treat and a little back rub. i'd have them stay in for a bit, maybe i'd even get the yarn out and engage them in their favorite indoor game of chasing the yarn as i taunted them with it. i'd let them out again in a few hours - and let them stay out a bit longer; signal them with the bell after about one and a half to two hours and they come in for another teaspoon of tuna.

my cats were strictly indoor cats...but i could see that they longed to go out doors and i felt guilty to have them cooped-up like a caged animal. our apartment was roomy and they had a terrific cat condo - really nice with hiding places and it was very tall for climbing, etc. but they would often sit in the window sils and watch the birds, and see the neighbor cats strolling by - they longed to join it the outdoor mischeif.

i was afraid to loose them, afraid they would not respond to me just calling their names - so i gave them an incentive.

it's quite easy - just takes some effort.How do I change the behavior of my cat who is obsessed with going outside?
leash train him and then he can go out safely or build a cat enclosure that he can be outside and be safe. I'm glad to see that you are being a responciable cat owner. another thing you can do is get a laser light and when you are leaving shine the light away from the door and he should chase after it making it easy for you to get out and when you are coming in have a toy on you and open the door just enough to get a toy through and throw it and he will chase after the toy so you are able to come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment