Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why the sudden behavior change in my dog?

OK so my female dog is pregnant and is due to give birth in 2-3 weeks. Lately, my male dog, Ty, has been acting aggressive lately. He's been pacing, and barking very loudly at night. When I came outside to see why, he leaped on me and gripped my arm between his teeth. It hurt even though it didn't draw blood. He usually doesn't act like this. I remember reading something about a male dog feeling protective over the female when she's pregnant? I have no idea why he's acting this way. Sometimes he's regular but other times, he's really aggressive. I often hear him growling and when i come outside for the usual game of fetch, he would rather nip me and dig his claws into my back.



(Please no answers about how dumb it is to let my dog get pregnant. I know there are many homeless dogs out there and it just happened.)



My question is why is my dog acting this way? Can he sense if my female is pregnant and why would he act that way towards me even if i'm nowhere near her? Why the sudden behavior change in my dog?
You're probably right. He knows the female is pregnant and for some weird reason, he thinks you may be a threat. I'd watch his behavior real closely. Don't let strangers or children around him at ALL. If he gets too aggressive take him to the vet and explain what's going on and see what the vet says. Is he neutered? This could make a difference too. If he's not I'd take him in to get neutered. Just make sure you watch him. There's nothing worse than a good dog attacking someone(or his owner).



He has his rabies shot right? O.oWhy the sudden behavior change in my dog?
Sounds like he is becoming protective because of the female. Still he should not be biting you like that under any circumstances. I think you should phone a professional trainer. And ignore anyone who tells you to see Ceaser the dog whisperer he is not a profesional and will only make it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment