Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why has my daughter's behavior changed since going to back to work?

I was at home with my daughter for her first 18 months. I went back to work full-time 3 weeks ago (part-time was not an option), and she was put in a licensed child care center (run out of someone's house, referred by many other parents, we cannot afford a nanny). At first, she was just needy for me when we were together (i.e. in the mornings and evenings, she would only want to play with me and not daddy). but now her behavior is getting even worse. whenever she is home, she is always throwing tantrums, hurting herself, crying and screaming at me, refusing to be either with me or daddy. I talked to the child care provider, and she says that my daughter is perfectly happy, content, and well-behaved during the day, and that she eats and sleeps well!



My questions:

1) Why has her behavior changed? (in your opinion)

2) Do you think it will get better? When?

3) How have you dealt with these behaviors in your family?Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
As a licensed child care provider trained in child development and a parent myself, I hope my advice can help you.



1. Change is very hard on toddlers, and a change in Mommy Time can be the biggest reason for misbehavior. She hasn't got the words to express herself at this age, and acting out is the only thing she can do. Her outbursts are a little delayed, but she may have been excited at first to play with other children and do all the fun things that your child care provider has to do in her home.

2. In my opinion, I am almost certain it will get better given time and communication on you and her father's part. For a time table...maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks...certainly no more than a month. Here are some tips:

a.) Spend more time with your daughter at home for awhile. It's hard for working parents, because there just aren't enough hours in the day. Read and play as soon as you both get home, even if it means delaying dinner by 20 or 30 minutes.

b.) Spend some lunchtime at the daycare home. Talk to your daycare provider about coming for lunch. I like to invite my parents for lunch once a month and I work around their lunch schedule as much as possible. And of course I have an open door policy, and parents are always welcome to stop by.

c.) Do some special activities on the weekends. Go to the zoo, amusement park, or just to McDonald's and the playground at some point every weekend or on your scheduled days off.

d.) Show a HUGE interest in the things she does at daycare. She's a tad too young to tell you what happened during the day, but when she paints or colors a picture, creates a project, or the daycare provider tells you about something she showed interest in during the day, praise her and give her your biggest hug and kiss.

3. When we go through these times with our 2 1/2 year old (and our 6 year old before), we dealt with them mostly through more family and one on one time. A little disapproval of bad behavior is necessary, but we've always found that postitive reinforcement and communication work better than negative attention in guiding behavior.



Remember that your little angel (by behaving badlly) is communicating with you in the best way that she knows how. She obviously doesn't have the verbal ability right now to tell you how she feels. She only knows that she feels bad and she misses you so much. She's behaving badly for you and her father because she knows you will love her no matter what. Even as mature adults, we sometimes behave badly and hurt those we love most when we feel bad.



Hope I've given you some good tips and things work out well for you.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
because your daughter is mad at you. She probably feels abandoned.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
i guess she feels like you guys dont love her like she use to feel mommy always there and now she with some people she dont know it can be like for us starting a new job where no knows us that feeling of lonelyness i guess shell get use to it if now change placesWhy has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
A lot of it has to do with what she learns from other children at her daycare. She is at a vital age and will pick up on little things very easily. The other part is proudly that shes mad at you. Shes so use to being around you that now your gone most of the day and shes just copping. Give her some time she will adjust.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
one thing you need to know beforehand. children are smart, sneaky little foxes. they test different behaviours on you to see if they get the result they want ( in your case if you quit your job again) make special cuddle time for her but also exlain to her that you need the money to by her her food, toys nappies etc. get her a toy supermarket where she can work, lets say for ja cent or a special treat. stay strong and don't give in. i'm back to werk since 4 years now and it took my son less than 3 month to accept the change of routine.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
Your child's behavior is telling you that she needs you home w/her. I know this is difficult to take. I've been in your situation. Do the best you can do.



With my first I devoted all my extra time to her, but she was still seriously effected. With my second, I worked weekends and Wednesdays. We only had a sitter on Weds and DH was home on weekends. I had a lot of bonding issues with her.



I ended up staying home after my third. It meant a lot of adjustments. We had to get rid off our new car and pay cash for one. We stopped eating out, cut up all of the credit cards, and cut back in every possible way. However, every time my son and daughters smile and love on me, it's all worth it!Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
Your daughter is definitely angry at you. You will have to deal with this with patience, understanding and diversion. She will come around in due time. Also, you may have a different way of dealing with her now that you are back at work...maybe try to be the same all the while changing slowly so she gets accustomed to your difference. In other words, give her the same loving time you used to and forget the housework, etc unless you are able to incorporate it with her help and or diversion.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
She's mad and hurt because child care centers aren't as good as parents. What did you think would happen? Did you think you could change her life for the worse, and there wouldn't be any consequences? If you can, it'd be good for your daughter if you go back to being a stay at home Mom. You might have to cut back on your lifestyle a bit, but it could still be worth it.



Even if you leave her in child care, her behavior will probably get better as she gets older. But it'll still be worse than if you were a stay at home Mom.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
I know you are probably feeling guilty about having to go back to work, and it doesn't help that your daughter is acting out. So, I'm not here to lay a guilt trip on you. But I do agree that she is most likely acting out because she misses her mommy. She had you all to herself for 18 months, and now, when she needs you more than ever (because she's becoming a toddler), she feels abandoned. This is the answer to the %26quot;why%26quot; question.



I do believe she will get more used to her daycare situation, but she may not get over her anger at you. She will probably suppress it though, over time. She is too young to understand why, and only understands that it is happening.



I would honestly do whatever I could to try to work from home so you could be with her more. If that means cutting out the cable, nice car, etc.. it will be worth it. But if you absolutely have no other option, then try to spend as much time as possible with her outside of work, and I would even let her sleep with you. That is just my opinion, but I think it sounds like she really needs to be near you right now.Why has my daughter%26039;s behavior changed since going to back to work?
This is nothing abnormal.Your daughter is just used to you being there with her to take care of her every need.Yes, she will get better;it is just a matter of time.Just be sure to show her you still love her and you will still always be there for her.
  • breaking away from
  • advice from vegan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment