Thursday, June 2, 2011

How has women's behavior changed from around 1950 to now?

im doing a report on how women's behavior has changed and would like to hear from anyone who has lived from 1950 or 1960 and the things they've noticed. Any help is greatly appreaciated. Thank you.

Also if you use a site could you say the site you got the information from?How has women%26039;s behavior changed from around 1950 to now?
I was born in 1954 so I have a viewpoint which may be relevant. My mother was typical of the time. She stayed at home and looked after the home and family until I was about 12. She was obsessed with housework and eventually the doctor told her that her mind was too active and that she should get a job. Which she did, on a part time basis. However, she also lacked confidence, so it was not unknown for her to have a panic attack. Each day my father drove her to work, with the assurance that he would come back if she could not cope. Rather like Mum's dropping off a young child at playschool, once there, she was fine.

My mother (who is 75) is of the second world war generation and she was often pulled out of school for family reasons and never achieved (academically) her full potential.

Her shame was having a school report which commented that she was an intelligent girl who's potential would never be realised because of family pressures and enforced absences. She left school at the age of 14, which was not uncommon then. She married my father at the age of 21.

I was the age when the educational system in the UK changed. So, I had a choice whether to say on until 16 or leave at 15. I stayed on and my younger sister did not. So, we both left school the same year. I had wanted to go to university but was not allowed to. So, most of the qualifications I now have were earned by holding down a full time job and going to college in the evening. I have a qualification which is a tad short of a degree.

For me, home and family was important, but so was my self development and striving to reach my full potential.

The other imprtant factor is the work scenario. In the 50's a woman was, for the most part, dependant on her husband for financial security.

By the time I started work in the late 70's that was changing. More women worked full time and were financially independant.

Now I am in my 50's I am totally independant. I live alone, work full time, pay my own bills, look after my own home and financial issues.

My mother still does not have a clue about finances as Dad (79) takes care of all the financial/insurance/investment issues.

Back in my mother's day young women did not get drunk and if they went out at night their brothers would make sure they got home safely. In those days in the UK homes where small and the boys were allowed to wash in the kitchen but the girls had to wash upstairs.

A late night out for my mother was 9:00 p.m.

For me it was 11:00 p.m.

These days if the young people (over 18) are in before about 3 a.m. they don't think they have had a good night out.

Hope this helps.





How has women%26039;s behavior changed from around 1950 to now?
I my opinion, more women now have a higher self esteem, than in 1950s.How has women%26039;s behavior changed from around 1950 to now?
I wasn't born until the 1980's. But from what I've learned and what I've observed, women in the 1950's were much less confident, usually did not have a job, were absolutely devoted to their husband and children, and absolutely under no circumstances expressed a sex-drive. And they never used dirty language ever.



Now women are confident and cool, they have high educations and jobs just like men, they may or may not care about getting married or having kids, they don't mind expressing sexual desires, and they have no shame about the way they talk.



In other words, women have become more like men with regards to behavior.



Sorry, but I have no legitimate source for this. Like I said, this is just stuff I've picked up from observations and education. How has women%26039;s behavior changed from around 1950 to now?
Women don't constitute a homogenous group any more than goldfish keepers constitute a homogeneous group.



Behavior differs between individuals.



For information on some of the most important behavioral theories in psychology please see

'Chapter 4: Learning Theory and Behavioral Psychology'

at http://allpsych.com/psychology101/learni

%26quot;Perhaps the most well known Behaviorist is B. F. Skinner (1904-1990). Skinner followed much of Watson檚 research and findings, but believed that internal states could influence behavior just as external stimuli. He is considered to be a Radical Behaviorist because of this belief, although nowadays it is believed that both internal and external stimuli influence our behavior.%26quot;



*Temperament/disposition has fairly recently been proven to be a function of genes. No amount of %26quot;conditioning%26quot; will change a person's disposition. They are hardwired to be who they are.How has women%26039;s behavior changed from around 1950 to now?
In the 1950s and 60s, women tended to be less obsessed with work than they are now, and more likely to want to get married and raise a family. I remember Jilly Cooper writing about her youth in the 60s, all the women in the office where she worked intended to give up work when they got married, she said having to go on working after marriage was considered highly undesirable.



Women who were serious about pursuing careers were more likely to stay single, %26quot;juggling%26quot; was not seen a a particularly desirable activity by either career women or housewives. Women who wanted or needed to keep working after marriage could certainly do so though, my mother-in-law for instance worked throughout the childhood of my husband and his brothers.



Women who did stay at home often had a very agreeable life. I remember my own mother and her friends were always in and out of each other's houses having coffee and chatting. My mother had the leisure to do the shopping and housework in her own time, without having to cram it in around a job. She had plenty of time to devote to her own interests, she painted pictures and was a keen gardener, and had several friends with whom she kept up frequent correspondence.



There was high employment in the 50s and 60s, so people worried less about getting jobs. There were loads of jobs for people who left school at 16 or earlier, with few qualifications or none at all.



The notion of 'free love' came in in the mid 60s, and with the contraceptive pill readily available, girls were able to have sex without having to worry about becoming pregnant. There was no AIDS in those days, so people were more relaxed about sex. Homosexuality between consenting adults over 21 was legalised in 1967.



In the 70s, when I was young, there were still plenty of jobs, though think women were still being paid less than men in some cases, I remember the Equal Pay Act being passed in 1975. And of course 1979 was when we got our first female Prime Minister, Mrs Thatcher.



Cinema was at a low point, the big old cinemas that used to proliferate in most towns were being knocked down or converted into several small cinemas so that three different films could be shown. Two of them usually had horrible small screens. There weren't many outstanding female stars in the 70s, nobody to compare with the strong female leads of the 30s 40s and 50s.



You could listen to music on the radio, but otherwise if you wanted music you had to go out and buy records or cassettes, which I think came in in the early 70s. If you had a radio casette player you could record stuff off the radio, which was amazing. I was never very musical, but I did like Abba, I really admired the two female lead singers, Iiked their songs and their crazy clothes. And I liked Suzy Quatro, I thought she was really cool.



By the 80s, the idea of 'juggling' was becoming very popular. Leaving work on marriage was going out of fashion, maternity leave was the new thing, you were supposed to rush back to work after giving birth. This was considered to be 'liberation', though in my opinion it's a recipe for total exhaustion. There were fewer jobs, rising unemployment, and more young people were staying on at school and going to college, rather than leaving at sixteen.



AIDS manifested itself in the mid-80s, and everyone started worrying about that. Also there were a lot of health scares about the contraceptive pill, so the combination of these two factors led to a big boost for the condom industry.
  • enabling encryption
  • power cord for laptop
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment